Oh dhalin', this is a great recipe. Such a flavoursome, tasty and nutritious option, which is perfect as the weather cools. This recipe is delicious on its own or served with rice or flat bread for a hearty meal.
My delicious dhal is adapted from this recipe.
What you need:
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, finely crushed
4 bay leaves
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 cup yellow split peas or red lentils, soaked in water overnight then drained (red lentils have a shorter cooking time)
2 carrots, grated
1 sweet potato, cubed
1/2 red capsicum, sliced
2 tomatoes, chopped up
3 cups water (or vegetable stock)
1 can coconut milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1 bunch spinach, chopped
What you do:
1. Fry onion, garlic and bayleaves in olive oil on med-high heat, until translucent.
2. Add curry powder, turmeric, split peas and water, while stirring.
3. Add the grated carrot, sweet potato, red capsicum and tomato. Then add the coconut milk.
4. Cook on low for 30 - 40 minutes, or until the split peas have softened. Remove the Bay leaves.
5. Add salt and pepper, then stir through the chopped spinach. Cook for a couple of minutes or until the spinach has wilted. Remove from the heat and serve with rice and enjoy!
If you like this recipe, please share it on to your family and friends, and subscribe to my monthly mailing list to receive similar recipes straight to your inbox!
Follow me on Instagram, if you're not already doing so, I regularly post easy meal ideas.