Mango and coconut overnight oats
It's been a while between blog posts, I've been busy finishing off uni but i'm back with a bang! My first post back is something i'm loving at the moment, mango and coconut overnight oats. Truth be told I haven't always been a fan of oats, or hot, creamy porridge for breakfast. Which is pretty weird for a nutrition nerd like myself, as they match the 'super food' description, I use that term loosely but you get the jist, they are a perfect breakfast when you take in to account their nutrition profile.
- Oats are a good source of fibre, in particular beta-glucan which has been associated with a range of health benefits;
- they are a low GI source of carbohydrates, meaning you stay full for longer;
- they are higher in protein and fat than most other grains;
- they provide a variety of vitamins and minerals, especially: manganese, phosphorus, copper, zinc, iron, magnesium, vitamin B1 and selenium. Which are essential for a range of different metabolic, growth and developmental processes;
- and they can be paired with a range of different delicious ingredients to make a perfect breakfast.
So up until this year, I wasn't a fan of oats. I'm not exactly sure what happened, maybe my tastes changed, maybe I learned to prepare them better, or learned about their beneficial qualities, who knows. What I do know is that I'm now a big fan! But with the weather heating up, a big bowl of steaming oats is sounding less and less appetising. Enter overnight oats. Overnight oats are simply oats that have been soaked overnight in any liquid and have absorbed that liquid and become nice and creamy. You can use any liquid you like, and topping combinations are endless! My current obsession is mango and coconut overnight oats, so creamy and fresh with a definite tropical summer vibe. And perhaps the best thing about them? They so easy! It takes about a minute at night to prepare, and then you're good to go in the morning. Make them in a jar, for a quick out-the-door breakfast, if that's your thing.
What you need: (serves 2-4 depending on appetite)
1 C rolled oats
1.5 C milk of choice, I use full-fat cows milk
3 heaped table spoons of plain or greek yoghurt
2 T desiccated coconut
2 T chia seeds (optional)
Half a mango per person, to serve
What you do:
Combine the oats, coconut, chia, milk and yoghurt in a container (I use a jar). Mix well and place in the fridge overnight. In the morning scoop out your desired serving size and top with half a mango, sliced. Now, enjoy!!
That's it! So easy. And you can make it ahead for a few days at a time, if you wanna be extra efficient.