Apple and Almond Overnight Oats
I love overnight oats, I've talked about it before here. Nutritionally, oats are fantastic - they are a fantastic carbohydrates that provide our bodies and brains with a stable source of energy. They contain fibre, which we know is fab for bowel health, but oats also contain a fibre called beta-glucan, which is linked with improving cholesterol levels and improving heart health. They are also filled with vitamins and minerals, but most importantly they're delicious!
There are a few reasons I love overnight oats so much:
- They takes a couple of minutes to prepare the night before, then in the morning you just dig in;
- You can make them in a jar, then take it to work to eat if you don't have time at home (and look super cool!);
- They're so delicious and keep me full all morning!
I've been making this current recipe for about a month and thought it was time I shared, because it's so delicious, and sharing is caring, right?!
What you need (for 3-4 serves):
1. 1 cup rolled oats
2. 1 heaped tablespoon chia seeds (optional, but a nice addition)
3. 1 cup milk
4. 3 heaped tablespoons yoghurt (I use greek yoghurt)
5. 2 apples, cooked
6. 1/4 cup chopped up raw almonds
What you do:
1. Remove core from apples and cut into small slices. Put into a bowl with a dash of water and a lid, then microwave for 6 minutes.
2. Roughly chop almonds.
3. When apple has cooled, add all ingredients to a jar, and stir to combine.
4. Leave in the fridge overnight, and let the oats work their magic.
5. Enjoy in the morning! Can add extra yoghurt or nuts if desired.
Have you tried making overnight oats? What's your favourite flavour combination?
If you enjoyed this recipe, share it around!